Stewart Macartney BSc(Eng)(Hons); CEng; FIStructE; FICE; IntPE(UK)
Civil and Structural – Edinburgh
Stewart joined Blyth & Blyth following graduation from Aberdeen University in 1989.
He is responsible for Certification of Building Structures in the Edinburgh Office.
He has extensive experience in the design and construction of both new build and refurbishment projects across most construction sectors.
Stewart specialises in the following areas:
- Forensic engineering investigations
- Building element failures
- Expert witness
- Design of public artworks and sculptures
Proudest moment at Blyth & Blyth? Or project you were most proud to be involved in?
Reaching 30 years’ service without being found out!
The projects that I have been most proud to have contributed to include:
- National Library of Scotland
- Malcolmburn Bond reconstruction following snow damage
- Dalmunach Distillery
- The Line-Out Sculpture at Twickenham
- The Nomadic Boulders, John O’Groats
- Eos, Dallas, Texas
- My work on the Independent Inquiry on Edinburgh Schools
Favourite building and why?
The Guggenheim Bilbao – why? because when I first saw the design I was sufficiently inspired by the abstract shape and flowing nature of the architecture that it motivated me to ride my motorcycle down through France and Spain to visit the site shortly after the building opened.