Premier Inn Perth
The conversion of an existing landmark historic building to provide a new 83 bedroom city centre hotel was the first stage of a wider regeneration project planned for the Mill Street area.
Client: Muir Construction
The site, bounded by Perth Concert Hall to the east and a modern office build to the west, dominates Mill Street, which is parallel to the pedestrianised section of the High Street.
The building dates from 1865 and was part of the former Pullar’s dye works complex. The building is arranged over three storeys, and is of traditional construction, with load bearing masonry walls and early compound steel floor beams. The town lade, which flows to the River Tay, runs under the building.
The structural works content included partial demolition, load assessment, strengthening, general refurbishment and major structural alterations to the existing core areas in order to provide accommodation suitable for hotel operations.
Blyth & Blyth provided civil and structural engineering services for this development