Murrayfield Stadium – 1924
The SRU identified 19 acres of land at Murrayfield, purchasing this from Edinburgh Polo Club at Murrayfield, having raised money through debentures A stand and three embankments were constructed, which took two years and commenced in 1923.
On 21st March 1925 England were the first team to visit Murrayfield, with 70,000 people watching Scotland beat them to win their first Five Nations Championship Grand Slam.
Standard Life House – 1996
This £65m project involved the construction of a new head office complex in Edinburgh at the junction of Lothian Road and the Western Approach Road. The development, to house approximately 1700 occupants, comprises two seven-storey buildings linked for operational purposes but capable of separation and future sub-letting.
The buildings were built above the Haymarket railway tunnels and required creative engineering design to release the full potential of the site. A bridging solution was devised utilising piles between and either side of the tunnels with a substantial transfer slab over. Close liaison and negotiation was required with Network Rail with significant restrictions on working times and techniques being applied.
New Edinburgh Royal Infirmary – 2003
Today the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh is one of Scotland’s most famous and prestigious hospitals. This reputation has been achieved after a long and proud history of medical excellence, underpinned by overwhelming support from generations of Edinburgh people.
David Hume Tower for University of Edinburgh – 1963
Construction began in 1960 and the buildings were in use by 1967, although work did not stop until 1970, the building is a 14 storey rectangular block located on George Square, Edinburgh for the University of Edinburgh. Currently home to the University Arts Faculty.
Tanfield, Edinburgh – 1991
Tanfield was developed for Standard Life, at Canonmills, Edinburgh. The site was divided by the Water of Leith and sensitively incorporated the former warehouse at Tanfield. An extensive roof garden was also formed. The offices with basement car park were built over the remains of underground gasometer tanks. As part of the Tanfield office development a major underground gas main that dissected the site was diverted towards the western perimeter.